Monday, July 26, 2010

Final Reflection/ Goodbye.



What I've learned...

about teaching: Dr. Strange and his staff were most helpful in displaying the teaching style that is best for the way students now think, and need to learn. Teachers are not giving information previously unknown to their students. Instead, they are showing students how to develop their own ideas and opinions, and how to research and defend those opinions to make the world a better place. For some time, I'd always thought in an ego driven teacher-centric style: I have information that they don't. The true story could not be farther away from that mindset. I've corrected my beliefs in a way that supports shared learning. It does not just pass from me to the student, in a straight line, but instead is a circle of knowledge and ideas shared both ways.

about collaboration: I've always disliked group work because of my introverted nature, and because I always believed that other students could not help me. In the past, I've had trouble in groups because there was never an open forum in which everyone could discuss and present ideas. This changed somewhere in the class. I had to seek out group members because I didn't know anyone else in the class. I learned that everyone has something to contribute. A distinct example of this was my project about burp-back education. I realized that I am such a creative and idea person, but that execution is not my strong point. Once my group members and I discussed the many things we could do for our project, I presented an idea for our video. It was everyone else that made it happen.

about comments for kids: These assignments helped me the most because I really had to think about how what I said to those kids would engage them and expand their interest in learning.

about technology: This was the biggest lesson. Before this class, I was part of the anti-tech backlash, but this was really because I had no idea how to use the tools available. I was at dinner last night with some very influential people in the educational field, and someone told me about their four-year old grand-daughter, who could read and write poetry. She then said that the reason this little girl could do so much is because her mother did not keep technology from her...she'd learn to read, spell, and write by sending text messages to her grandmother and other family members. How cool is that?!?!?! For centuries, the world as we know it has been growing smaller. Globalization is a key term in today's economy. Shouldn't this world view be spread to education as well? Think about how many intellectual revolutions are/ will be happening because of our ability to communicate around the globe. Our future can only continue to be so exciting and inspiring if we embrace these changes and come together to make our impact global and lasting.

Classmates, Dr. Strange, and others: This is it, for now. But come find me in the future. I will be actively participating.

As a student of quotes, I leave you with this:

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn."
-- John Cotton Dana

4 comments:

  1. "...a circle of knowledge and ideas shared both ways. " I like that!
    "It was everyone else that made it happen. " I would remove the word "else" and you would have it right!
    "..." How wonderful!
    "Shouldn't this world view be spread to education as well?" well said.

    A thoughtful, well written reflection.
    Thank you. I appreciate the many contributions you have made to EDM310. I hope you will continue to be involved; in the alumni blog; in some of our upcoming experiments; in commenting on the blogs of students of this fall; and dropping by to see us in the lab from time to time.

    Auvoir! Until we see each other again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://multiplicationtablesite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete