Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blog 11: Twitter brings us conversation from Canada--







--and no, it's not on bacon, beer, or hockey.




I think that Mrs. Cassidy has a realistic approach when it comes to technology in the classroom. She is progressing, which is a lot more than many teachers. She’s experimented with different technological mediums, and how they can help her in her classroom. I liked when she was explaining how she got started: 10 years ago when 5 computers just showed up in her classroom, she wouldn’t let them go to waste! Then, she figured out how to build a webpage for her classroom, and it went on from there. Now, here first grade students are using blogs, videos, the class webpage, wiki, skype, and other materials in their education. I think this is great for the students because their interest and motivation doesn’t decrease when they arrive at school, it increases! Think about how great it must be for them to watch a video they’ve made or read a comment someone left on their blog. Blogging creates an audience other than the teacher (who gives the grade, but can’t share the ideas of everyone who has access to a blog)!

In the Skype conversation she had with Dr. Strange’s Spring 2010 EDM210 Class, she said that her administration neither encouraged nor discouraged her technological journey. While it is crucial that admin does not discourage anyone who is creating ways to implement technology and motivate students, I wish I’d heard that she got more support from them. She did, however, have a “tech guy” for her district who would help her when she got hung up. Even if there weren’t one, though, she could’ve asked anyone on her network! Oh collaboration, you’re cool!

I plan to implement a class webpage, blog, and videos in my classroom. I can use Skype to hold debates with other classes in different schools (wouldn’t that be fun!!!!?!?!?!) I really don’t know anything at all about wikis, but I’ll definitely find out (they’re all the rage: I think wikis are the new encyclopedia).

Oh the benefits….duh, just pay attention.

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Cassidy has done a tremendous job.

    Experimentation is the best way to figure out what works and what does not. If something doesn't work try something else. Very simple. The ones who scare me are the ones who keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

    I like your ideas for how you will use technology in your classroom. You are correct, collaboration is cool.

    By the way, love the graphics. And you are using alt and title tags. Excellent! SS

    ReplyDelete