Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summaries of Comments 4 Teachers (C4T) 1-6

Comments for Teachers 1, 2, & 3: David Warlick

June 8th: My name is Leah DiVincenzo. I am initially responding to this post as a class assignment, but will likely continue to follow your blog as a learning tool. If you’re interested, the class is Micro computing Systems in Education. (I will also include a link to my personal class blog).
Introduction aside, I’m only aware of Steven Levy due to his “I found Einstein’s Brain” article, which I found on NPR.com some days ago. Regardless, I see the reason any of his posts would propel one toward these questions. Since I do not own any apple devices (less because of lack of want, more because limited funds cause me to wait for something “better” to come out—i.e. the ipad), I may be biased. Nevertheless, I do agree with Levy that they will need to become cheaper to not be dubbed “elitist machines”. I’m not holding my breath for it to be as light as paper.

June 16th: Mr. Warlick:

I love the idea of being unsure and having to collaborate to find what's "right". I even like the possibility of having to redefine what "right" is. Each problem facilitates a solution. As the problems grow bigger and more complex, so do the solutions- and they may have to go through many drafts and changes before we find out. But the adventure and the learning are in the search. We now have the technology to accompany others (even around the world!) in their searches. I'm excited about the possibilities. And I'm excited it seems you are too.

June 23rd: David,

I agree that we’ve been waiting too long to for students to “figure it out”. Either they will or they won’t, sooner or later: the attitude I’ve seen from many of the educators I’ve encountered, from elementary school to pursuing my undergraduate degree.
Empowering learning has always made more sense, but we seem to be stuck in this cycle of not being able to raise the bar or expand ideas because of so much red tape. The encumbrances then lead to battles like this one: where some argue that we should not concern ourselves with long term goals.
To reiterate Mr Klein’s comment, How is this done? I’ve heard over and over again in my education classes what we NEED to be doing, and what NOT to do; however, without the passion of the educator (or in my case, student) to figure out how to do what needs to be done, we will continue to to ask ourselves why we’re waiting for public education to “work”.
Mr. Murry said that “something bigger is at the heart of this issue.” I completely agree. We can only begin to help change it if we give students resources that instill in them the want to learn, read, investigate, and change. You mention this. My question is about specifics. Do you have any advice, resources, or ideas to inspire future educators to really enable and empower students in the midst of the budgetary and political quandary?

Leah DiVincenzo


Comments for Teachers 4, 5, & 6: Ann Carnevale's Bits 'n Bytes

June 29th: Ann:

I appreciate all of the resources you're sharing at Bits 'n Bytes! The Free Technology for Teachers has been very helpful in showing the irony of web restrictions and educating students in the least restrictive environment (LRE). Technology Chatter by Dodie Ainslie now has a post describing a book dealing with the pros and cons of technology in the world beyond the classroom.

This collaboration and information makes it even more possible for us to learn about how these changes are influencing us: personally, professionally, and globally. I am a student in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at The University of South Alabama. I've really enjoyed my brief experiences in networking, and I hope to continue my journey in the "inter-web"! I'd like to leave you with a few resources that have been helpful to me, along with my class blog.

Wendy Drexler's Teach Web
Karl Fisch's "The Fischbowl"
Leah DiVincenzo's class blog

July 5th: This post is so informative about the Google IM tool. We appreciate all of your resources and information about technology and the classroom.

Leah DiVincenzo

July 15th: Thinkfinity is now on my favorites! I like how it has lesson plans, student and parent interactives, and links to state departments of education. We appreciate all of the resources you provide! I also like Google for Educators

Thanks again!

Leah DiVincenzo

No comments:

Post a Comment